Search This Blog

Monday 22 December 2008



This is a special poem written ( not by me )
about a very special man………


Thomas Traynor

It was early, early on a Monday morn`
As the birds all sang in the fresh of dawn,
On a Monday morning on the gallows high.
Brave Thomas Traynor was led to die.

Led forth to die in his manhood prime,
No flag did flutter, no bell did chime,
But the rosary spoken, came sweet and clear
From the people all gathered round the jail gate near.

Let my loving wife neither weep or sigh,
For Ireland’s sake I am proud to die,
I am proud to die. Though my children dear
A fathers voice never more shall hear.

Fight not for vengeance when I am dead,
Nor from duties path let your minds be led,
But fight for freedom, for the cause I die,
And place your trust in the great God on high.

Like music soft on the morning air
The peoples voice risesin murmured prayer,
The bolt is drawn, tight the fatal cord,
Thomas Traynor`s soul is now safe with God.

The sacrifice for his land made,
In the prison grounds is his body laid
With the sainted martyrs of liberty
Who died that old Ireland night soon be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment